[CentOS] scripting CPAN installs

Fri Apr 16 12:31:49 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Christoph Maser wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.04.2010, 22:23 +0200 schrieb Alan McKay:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Maybe there is a Perl/CPAN list that is a better place to ask this?
>> If so, maybe someone can point me to it.
>>
>> Anyway, I want to be able to script the installation of a bunch of
>> CPAN modules, and the first basic problem I am coming up against is
>> that the "cpan" command seems to always return 0 regardless of whether
>> or not the install completed.
>>
>> Google does not bring up a whole lot of help for me here, but I have
>> to think this problem has already been solved.
>>
>> Thanks for any guidance you can give.
>>
>> -Alan
>>

> Alan
>
> i do a lot of the perl CPAN RPMS at rpmforge, if oyu have any reasons to
> not use them please tell and I will try to fix that.

The main problem with 3rd party repos is that you have to be careful about
updates causing dependency conflicts, especially if you use more than one.  I
normally leave the repos disabled in the yum config and explicitly use "yum
--enablerepo=reponame install packagename" to pull only the packages I want and
look carefully at the list of dependencies.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com