[CentOS] CentOS5 and samba

Fri Apr 16 13:12:43 UTC 2010
Christoph Maser <cmr at financial.com>

Am Freitag, den 16.04.2010, 15:00 +0200 schrieb
lhecking at users.sourceforge.net:
> We're trying to migrate RHEL3 and CentOS4 based samba servers over to CentOS5,
>  but it's a bleeding disaster. We cannot get it to work reliably with any
>  version of CentOS5, i386 or x86_64, the included 3.0.x version of samba or
>  3.4.x/3.5.x compiled from source.
>
>  The symptoms are: read access is extremely slow, write access seems to work
>  in principle (e.g. creating a zeros-sized file on a share), but writing even
>  small files (100k) to the share eventually times out with "out of memory or
>  disk space" errors. These shares are home directories NFS-mounted on the
>  samba server. Shares of local disks work fine as expected.
>
>  We have played with oplock settings and got some improvements, but not
>  reliably, and this seems to effect XP and Seven clients differently.
>
>  Surely we are not the first to run into this sort of issue? Given the range
>  of tested software, the problem appears to be specific to CentOS5.

If this was a general CentOS problem you would propably find tons of
information on bugs.centos.org and bugzilla.redhat.com. I bon't use
samba on CentOS 5 myself but it's really hard to believe that it is a
CentOS related problem. I rather think it is some trivial common problem
like network issues (duplex/speed missmatch) or some problem with the
storage.

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach