[CentOS] burning an image

Fri Apr 16 14:07:37 UTC 2010
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

david walcroft wrote, On 04/15/2010 10:59 PM:
> On 04/15/2010 11:10 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> On 15/04/10 09:58, david walcroft wrote:
>>> I downloaded CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso but I haven't used Centos
>>> before and I've haven't used a -bin-DVD.iso before,every attempt so far
>>> to burn one has produced coasters,what do I do to get an image.
>> I've had graphical apps give me coasters on occasion.  From the command
>> line you can try:
>>
>> 	growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
>
> [david at reddwarf ~]$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
> /dev/dvd=rpm/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> :-( /dev/dvd: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 0
>
> I used a dvd-rw and a dvd-rw-dl with the same results.
>
> Thanks  david

I tend to use /dev/dvdwriter, it should not make a difference as they are all softlinks to
/dev/YourDVDdevice, though I think I have seen some difference in behavior when used as /dev/dvd vs
/dev/cdrom  by gnome-mount.

As I don't think you have been clear on this point yet...is your *_MEDIA_* DVD+RW or DVD-RW, or one
of the DVD+R or DVD-R variety?

The following links may be of some use for an attempt at "blanking" the disk before reuse.
DVD+RW
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25355
DVD-RW
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html#AEN25401
it looks like, from my quick read, DVD-RW may need an explicit blank before reuse

Of course the source of growisofs may be of use
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

--
Todd Denniston