[CentOS] Xen-server in virt-manager Paravirtualized doesn't work

Thu Apr 22 13:24:03 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:56:13AM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:12:01PM +0200, Georghy wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I'm setting up a virtualization software on CentOS,
> >> using virt-manager, KVM, qemu and Xen
> >> When I want to create a VM, paravirtualized mode isn't possible (ie it
> >> is grey)
> >> What should I do to use xen paravirtualized mode ?
> >> i figured that xen is not running but /etc/init.d/xend start doesn't work
> >> xen and xen-kernel are installed on the machine (rpm -qa | grep xen
> >> replies : xen & xen-kernel)
> >> thanks for all help
> >>

> > Did you actually boot into Xen?
> >
> > -- Pasi

> i want to but my kernel is a PAE kernel
> should I choose between PAE or XEN kernel ? Are they incompatible ?

Please check /boot/grub/grub.conf

Xen hypervisor is a baremetal hypervisor, meaning you have to _boot_ into it (xen.gz).

Xen hypervisor will then launch dom0 ("domain 0") Linux, which is used to manage the system.
dom0 Linux kernel needs to be special xen-aware kernel, called kernel-xen in rhel/centos.

So yeah.. normal kernel-PAE doesn't run as Xen dom0.
kernel-xen is always PAE enabled on 32bit, 64bit doesn't require/use special PAE kernels.

-- Pasi