[CentOS] OT: Caching synchronous writes

Thu Apr 22 22:57:01 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>>> I think what you want is a proper storage array with mirrored write
>>> cache.
>>>

>> Which is what we have with ZFS + SSD-based ZIL for far less money than
>> a NetApp.
>>

> not unless you have a pair of them configured as an active/standby HA
> cluster, sharing dual port disk storage, and some how (magic?) mirroring
> the cache pool so that if the active storage controller/server fails,
> the standby can take over wthout losing a single write.

OT too but really thought this was a good post/thread on ZFS

http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg18898.html

"ZFS is designed for high *reliability*"
[..]
"You want something  completely different. You expect it to deliver
*availability*.

And availability is something ZFS doesn't promise. It simply can't
deliver this."

--

nate