[CentOS] vmware-server-console not installed

Wed Apr 28 19:05:13 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/28/2010 1:16 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Running the VMware converter
>> tool from an old Dell Win2k server with an IDE disk to produce an ESXi
>> image went through the motions but the image wouldn't boot - but doing
>> the same thing to a vmware server (v1) image file over a network share
>> worked.  Has anyone seen that before?
>
> Never used Server, but I use ESXi and I know what your issue is: Mass Storage
> Drivers, you need to make sure the Critical Device Database is populated with
> the driver in the destination system, such as an LSI SCSI or SAS and that that
> service start type is set to "boot".
>
> Install the driver then add it to the crit dev db in:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\
>
> Follow one of the necessarily existing PCI#VEN_xxxx&DEV_xxxx for syntax.
>
> Change the Service Start Type:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nnnn
>
>> From probably 4 to 0.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103000
>
> I use the LSI SAS for everything...
>
> jlc
>
> Ps. I think the current version of ESXi allows an ide controller to avoid this...

I've seen that - and it gives a windows blue-screen.  This is some other
problem that doesn't even get past the bios boot loader.  I did tell the
converter to keep the source disk controller type - and when going to
ESXi it can install vmware tools on the fly which should fix up the
drivers once you get that far.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com