[CentOS] Boot message about "resume device"

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Aug 2 00:06:32 UTC 2010

> Tom H wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener at tropicsoft.com> wrote:
> >> When I boot CentOS 5.5, I receive the message:
> >>
> >> Unable to access resume device ( UUID = some UUID etc. )
> >>
> >> How do I find out what actual device to which this UUID refers ? It does
> >> not appear to be a block device since it does not show when I try 'blkid'.
> >> To what does "resume device" refer ?
> >>
> >> The boot succeeds but I would like to know what this messages means.
> >
> > UUID?! "resume" must be set to that UUID in /init in your initrd.
> > Updating/recreating your initrd should fix this problem.
>
> How does one "update/recreate" the initrd image ?

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

> Why would initrd hard-code a partition UUID ? If the UUID changes, which
> it has in my case when I had to move and reformat the swap partition,
> then the initrd image is now wrong.

It might also depend on what you have for kernel command line parameters
and/or what /etc/fstab looks like and/or what your hibernate/resume
config looks like.  I believe it is possible for these things to use
more 'symbolic' things (like LABEL= for example [yes, mkswap can label a
swap partition]).

mkinitrd looks in various places to figure out what the swap partition
is 'called' and is probably falling back to the UUID as the fallback
choice.