[CentOS] Manually mounting partitions in "linux rescue" mode

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:13:17 UTC 2010

On 8/3/2010 9:56 AM, Edward Diener wrote:

> I am at the shell prompt but in order to get grub to work, don't I need
> to mount my actual boot and root partitions for grub to know that
> (hd0,9) refers a valid boot partition when I tell grub:
>
> root (hd0,9)
> setup (hd0,9)

No, grub doesn't need to have anything mounted.  The sysimage mount and
chroot is most useful to get access to your usual tools in their usual
paths and to be able to edit the grub.conf file.  I've never tried to
boot from a partition that far into the disk, though.   I had enough
trouble back in the days when bios only knew 1024 cylinders that I've
always put a small /boot partition as the first thing on the disk even
though you shouldn't have to now.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com