[CentOS] who uses Lustre in production with virtual machines?

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:13:40 UTC 2010

On 8/3/10, Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>  What do Gluster or Lustre offer that the builtin Red Hat Cluster Suite
>  does not?

Being a noob admin, I'm not sure and still haven't decided fully on
which way to go, largely because it seems the technologies of choice
are both still maturing (gluster + non-Solaris ZFS).

I don't know about Rudi's requirements but in my case, having an
easily expandable and high availability storage with minimum switch
over time that's decoupled from the VM host machines is the objective.

>From what I understand, I cannot do the equivalent of network RAID 1
with a normal DRBD/HB style cluster. Gluster with replicate appears to
do exactly that. I can have 2 or more storage servers with real time
duplicates of the same data so that if any one fails the cluster does
not run into problem. By using gluster distribute over pairs of
server, it seems that I can also easily add more storage by adding
more pairs of replicate server.