[CentOS] force b/w printing

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Aug 3 16:20:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:

> From: Janez Kosmrlj <postnalista at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] force b/w printing
>
> Has anyone an idea, how to force users to print b/w on a color printer.
> We are in the process to deploy color printers to some of our offices where
> they use centos 5.5 as their OS. They need the printers to print some
> advertisement material. But for everything else, they don't need it. And
> because of the costs of the color printing we would like to force them to
> use B/W where not explicitly necessary. Is there a way to force  a printer
> driver to be just B/W even if it is a color printer. So i could install a
> second color printer which would only be available to a special print user.

I think as system administrator, you should be able to setup
the printer to only print in B&W - not color.

I use an HP DeskJet 810c on Fedora 12. It has a color print
cartridge, and a separate black ink catridge. The printer
actually prints OK in black and white (maybe grayscale) with
an empty color cartridge. It does need the empty color
cartridge to be present in the printer.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts