[CentOS] yum doesn't exit

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:18:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:33 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:19 AM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ahh as long as yum-updated is running as a service regular yum update
> >> will not run!  IE, you killed the yum-updatesd service and that is why
> >> yum update ran.
> >
> > Oh?  I run yum-updatesd as a service (by dafult, not by any specific
> > intent), but as far as I can tell, it has never interfered with me
> > running a yum update.
>
> Presumably because it's doing it overnight, and is done. You cannot run
> yum while it's running - they both want the same locks, and both are
> updating the same database. Bad, and so they prevent you from doing so.
>
>       mark
Right also you can and will some day in time hit the same problem but
using rpm to do various queries will throw up the same error when using
yum because of the db lock.  I do not for see regular users encountering
this problem but heavy rpm -q, qa ,qi ,qiR, qf | grep foo will indeed.
I encounter it a lot of times especially when using multiple terminal
windows.  So I have to kill pid{rpm}.

John