[CentOS] force b/w printing

Janez Kosmrlj postnalista at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 4 06:18:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <
raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On 8/3/10, Janez Kosmrlj <postnalista at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone an idea, how to force users to print b/w on a color printer.
>
> Strange how come people miss out the loclhost:631 on the system
> hosting the  printer and check out the printer options button.
>
> I swear, it is gui.
>
> This is in addition to commandline options mentioned in the other post.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajagopal

And why would the web gui be better than the gnome gui. The problem with
both of them is, that you can set the defaults, but the user can still
change back to color mode, if he wants to in the print dialog. I want that
they don't even have the option to print in color. The option should have
just one dedicated print user.

As for Keith's suggestion. First, we have laser printers. And they won't
print if one of the toners is empty. And second, i search for a solution for
about 400 offices and 1500 computers not my home printer. So the logistics
of your solution would be a bit tricky.

The best solution would be command line and if possible bash scriptable.