[CentOS] Dogs, trolls, and neighborly free/open source

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Aug 5 18:13:13 UTC 2010

On 8/5/2010 11:51 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> When someone says, "I'm writing a shell script, and hereabouts I need
>> $TOOL to do such and such," a good answer is usually forthcoming.
>>
>> When someone says, "Tell me how to script this $PROJECT," the
>> commmunity usually points the OP off to Google/Manual.
>
> I don't think it is the nature of the requests that are different

I would guess that most sysadmin type scripts are under 100 LOC.  I
can't decide if the rare few KSLOC scripts push the median out to the
low hundreds, or if the great number of short scripts drag that median
down into the double digits.

I think a similar bell curve exists for programs/systems complex enough
to require "coders" -- professional software developers -- but that the
scale is magnified by at least 10, maybe 100.  If I had to pick a value,
I'd say the median software project has 10,000 SLOC.  The range extends
from "glorified shell script" up into the millions of lines.

The point is, a 20 line answer in each case is qualitatively different
because it represents a different proportion of the task.

> administrators pretend that everything they do is unique and not
> reusable - or they don't want it to be.

It's my experience that most short sysadmin type scripts on POSIXy
systems are site-specific glue code.  The generic parts are off in
external programs or libraries that the scripts call.

So, us coders are happy to maintain tar(1) and grep(1) and dialog(1) and
whatnot for you sysadmin types, but we're not likely to write a one-off
script that ties all these together to make a custom home directory
backup system for you.