[CentOS] Remote nautilus, X display forwarding problem

Dotan Cohen

dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 08:24:51 UTC 2010

I need to open a Nautilus window on a headless server, but no matter
what I try it complains about the display:

✈dcl:~$ xhost + localhost
localhost being added to access control list
✈dcl:~$ ssh -X user at ip.address
[user at CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
[user at CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$ nautilus --display=0:0
cannot open display: 0:0
Run 'nautilus --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
[user at CentOS-55-32-minimal ~]$

Googling the situation it looks like I've covered all the steps:
enabling remote X, X forwarding, display export and telling Nautilus
which display to use. Any other ideas? Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com