[CentOS] yum-fastestmirror inconsistent exclude behavior

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Fri Aug 6 12:47:54 UTC 2010

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote, On 08/06/2010 02:48 AM:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to figure out something wherein excluded repositories for
> the yum-fastestmirror plugin are still being used by the system.
>
> To illustrate:
>
> [root at sales ~]# cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf

> #exclude=.gov, facebook
> exclude=maulvi, .gov.ph, .vn

Out of curiosity,
is there a way (with out editing code) to get each of the lists of mirrors (which were sent to the
yum client) printed before the exclude starts taking place?

i.e., for fun (in the US) I tried
exclude=.net, .com, .edu

which does show long lists of excluded items, yet a mirror for each of the repos was found, and yes
each of the repos found should have been in the exclude list.

A guess (as I am not familiar with reading python) is that when the number of repositories available
after exclusions reaches 0, the first [0 index] mirror passed to you is used anyway instead of
reporting no mirrors available and exiting.
see fastestmirror.py lines 194-216.

[hoping my reading is not too  far off :]
--
Todd Denniston