[CentOS] ext4?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 13:03:28 UTC 2010

On 9 August 2010 12:54, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless you have *very* specific circumstances there is no need to roll
> your own kernel and in terms of easing support it is preferred to use
> the vendor kernel and kmods for any modules not part of it that are
> required....

Agreed, I was just trying to rebuild a forcefully install a newer
kernel which is why I took this step...

> Does verifying the kernel RPM show anything missing?
>
> rpm -V kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5

Yes it said that /boot/vmlinz..... and /boot/initrd..... where all missing

> *So long as* uname does not show the kernel version as the current one
> try to do:
>
> yum reinstall kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
>
> This *should* reinstall that kernel and with the files in place grubby
> should pick it up in the grub rebuild...
>
> After reinstalling the kernel check grub.cfg and /boot and see if they
> are pointing to the most recent kernel.

I assume this would fix my issue, instead I ran; sudo rpm -ivh --force
kernel....rpm and that produced the results you predicted, and now
after a reboot I ahve ssh'ed back in and...

[nf5002 at eros ~]$ uname -a
Linux eros 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Sun Aug 8 13:16:09 BST 2010
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[nf5002 at eros ~]$ df -h
/dev/sda1              28G  8.3G   18G  33% /
/dev/sda2             3.4T  198M  3.2T   1% /backup
/dev/sdb1             119M   18M   97M  16% /boot
tmpfs                1004M     0 1004M   0% /dev/shm

"Bloody cushty mate" ;)

--
Regards,
James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?