[CentOS] Downgrade libgcc & gcc packages (is there a clean way)

Dan Burkland

dburklan at NMDP.ORG
Mon Aug 9 18:06:15 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I have been tasked with "fixing" one of our CentOS boxes by somehow downgrading the libgcc and gcc packages to a specific version (Required by the Oracle Grid Control client). Normally I'd just remove and reinstall the packages however removing libgcc is no fun as I found out the hard way it breaks pretty much every package including rpm & yum. Is there an elegant way to downgrade the currently installed libgcc & gcc packages?

Thanks,

Dan