[CentOS] NTFS is more resilient than ext3? Or is it hardware issue?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Aug 12 13:10:08 UTC 2010

> Hi guys,
> I don't mean to incite debate or something, just want to share
> experience and a little curiosity.
>
> Back long time ago, we have an old file MS W2K (NTFS) server where due
> no admin was available to manage it, the server would get power off
> when the office closed, and auto power on again in the morning. That
> thing happened for years and it was fine ^^
>
> Recently, I setup a Centos 5.5 file server with ext3 and got power
> blackout twice and I notice the filesystem got corrupted and also bad
> sectors.
>
> Is it just pure random luck, software or hardware issue?
> What's your experience?

We (way back when while I was working at UMass) bought two Gateway
desktop boxes (identical machines with identical Quantum SCSI disks).
One got MS-Windows NT 4 installed on it, the other RedHat Linux.
Within a month the RedHat box reported disk errors (nothing totally
fatal, just bad sector I/O).  We had the disk replaced with a Seagate
SCSI disk and the machine was happy for years.  Not a peep out of the
NT box for like 7 months, then it basically died due to disk failure.
We *suspected* that the disk probably was having trouble all along, but
NT was totally 'oblivious' to the errors...