[CentOS] Ethernet Quad

Michel van Deventer michel at van.deventer.cx
Thu Aug 12 13:26:14 UTC 2010

> On 08/12/2010 06:06 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> I don't know about 10/100. For 10/100/1000 I use Intel quad port
>>> boards.
>>> They work fine.
>>>

>> Sorry to hijack this thread, but it could be relevant.
>> As matter of interest, do these cards offer lower throughput than 4x
>> single 1GB cards?
If you should use them in a PCI slot yes, not if you use them in a PCI-X
or PCI-e slot (although you could saturate a PCI-e x1 with 4 gbit ports I
think).

> Depends mostly on if you are using PCI/PCI-X vs PCI-express. At high bit
> rates you can saturate the old PCI bus. A single gigabit port can pretty
> much saturate a 32-bit PCI bus at 33MHz.
>
> PCI-express can go a lot faster.
The Intel Quad cards don't fit (and don't then) in a single PCI slot.
The Intel Dual Gbit cards do and you can saturate a PCI slot with it quite
easy :)

   Regards,

   Michel