[CentOS] Ethernet Quad

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Aug 12 18:01:55 UTC 2010

  On 08/12/10 10:35 AM, Drew wrote:
> Not with the Intel Pro 1000's. The PCIe versions require a x4 slot in
> the dual or quad configuration. Can't speak to the PCI-X version as I
> don't have any in my inventory.

yeah, a single PCI-E 'lane' (eg, x1) is only about twice as fast as a
PCI 32 bit 33Mhz desktop slot. (250MB/sec vs 133MB/sec burst).  As soon
as you get into multiple devices contending for a channel, actual
performance goes down considerably due to the overhead of contention
negotiation.

PCI-E x4 has 4 of these lanes, so each of the 4 NICs can effectively
have a lane to itself.   Full duplex gigE is, in theory, capable of
120MB/sec read *and* 120MB/sec write at the same time, so this exceeds
that single 32bit/33Mhz PCI slot by quite a lot..

PCI-E x4 is roughly equivalent to PCI-X (100-133Mhz, 64bit, about
1Gbyte/sec), and any high performance IO device in a server should be in
a x4 slot.