[CentOS] Date drift and ntpd

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Aug 12 22:15:09 UTC 2010

  On 08/12/10 2:51 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> Only one server on a given LAN should be running ntpd.  It's overkill
> for every machine to keep themselves synced with such a complex and
> fussy server.  All the others should just call ntpdate or msntp every
> hour or so as a cron job to keep their own time close to that of the LAN
> time server's.

I disagree.

Simply setting a systems time at fixed intervals will result in
discontinuities in delta time measurements.  if the systems local clock
is fast, a given time will occur twice, and a delta between two time
readings could be negative.    if the clock is slow, a delta between two
readings would jump by whatever correction.

I do think that having one NTP master server onsite which syncs either
to a hardware clock (GPS etc), or to 1 to 3 external NTP servers, then
having all the rest of your local servers sync to this one NTP master
server is the correct architecture.    Once an ntpd synchs and
stabilizes to its reference, its very low overhead.