[CentOS] upgrading storage on hardware RAID 10 possible?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Aug 13 11:08:16 UTC 2010

Hi,

Firstly, I would recommend you spend a bit of time and workout RAID  -
what it means and what it does.

On 08/13/2010 08:50 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me, from experience, if it's possible to
> upgrade the hard drives in a RAID 10 system from 250GB HDD's to 500GB
> / 750GB HDD's, while the server is running? The server runs CentOS 5.5
> x64.

Yes. But..

> Our hardware vendors simply always say no,

Where it the raid metadata stored ? what kind of an hba is it ? what is
the volume manager on there ? If you can answer those three questions,
you can then workout what your options are.

Personally, the safest option is to go with with Ero has already pointed
out, setup a new Vol, migrate your data.

- KB