[CentOS] preupgrade

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Aug 13 15:46:39 UTC 2010

Charles Campbell wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Just thought I'd present this problem for comment/help/hints:
>
> * want to upgrade from Fedora Core 11 to 13
<snip>
First, this is the CentOS list - you might want to post to the redhat
mailing list, or the fedora-specific list.

That being said, I've had to upgrade three or so machines fro FC10 to 13,
and I now *LOATHE* Fedora. It broke the video on at least one machine
(older Nvidia card), and I could *not* get gnome to work - all I got was a
splash screen, and a line, about a pixel or 10 wide, about three inches
high, and *nothing* I did would make it work. I finally had to uninstall
gnome, and install kde, and got that working... and I'm still *very*
unhappy that it never leaves the login box empty, it keeps the last person
logged in visible.

And it's crashed several times - as in frozen, and I had to power cycle
it. The machine I've worked on most never had trouble before that, and
it's *really* aggravating, since I do offline backups on it, which can
take hours, and it hangs in the middle.

And I've had to fsck the thing several times....

       mark "fedora == bleeding edge, != leading edge"