[CentOS] ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

sync jiannma at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 03:20:42 UTC 2010

2010/8/13 Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2 at o2.pl>

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
> John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > From: sync <jiannma at gmail.com>
> > > I try  to use that version  but  it does not work ...
> > > Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..
> >
> > Did you check if the module is present somewhere?
>
> Hi,
>
> I installed ATI in Debian dozens of times. Just tried the same process
> on SL 5.5 here few minutes before.
>
> 1) linux-cat107-install.pdf from ATI download website says what files
> you have to have installed prior to ATI instalation/kernel compilation
>

> https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_cat107-inst.pdf
>
> 2) Radeon HD 5xxxx is included in the 10.7 list of ATI drivers
>
> 3) Installation went smoothly without a problem
>
> 4) ATI driver is named fglrx*
>
> 5) search for its mutations ;-) there:
> lib/modules/fglrx
> lib-/modules/"kernel-sig"/kernel/drivers/char/drm
>
> kernel-sig = your kernel's signature

Thanks for your advice .

 I refered to the ATI driver installation doc and found the following
message :

Note: If a Linux 2.6.11 or newer kernel was built with
CONFIG_AGP enabled, the kernel AGP frontend is required to load
the fglrx kernel module. To identify whether your kernel was built
with CONFIG_AGP enabled, look for CONFIG_AGP=y in the
kernel config file, or if the 'agpgart' module is loaded.

And I found  that module is not in CentOS 5.5 x8_64 .

So could I compile the kernel that enable that module ?

Isn't  it right ?  Thanks ...