[CentOS] how many folks are *seriously* using ACLs?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 20:58:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 04:45:02PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i'm just curious -- how many people here are using ACLs as a regular
> and significant part of their sys admin?

We use it on an FTP server, as it seemed to be the easiest way to make
some directories read-only to some people and read/write for others.
I've forgotten what we tried beforehand and why it wasn't working, but
we found it convenient to allow some FTP shares to have different rights
for different users.

Used an old Fedora 2 tutorial.

http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/ACL/linux-acl.html
--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Everything seems normal. Not a snake, not a wasp.
Cordelia: Yup. School can open tomorrow.
Xander: Explain to me again how that's a good thing?
Cordelia: I'm drawing a blank.