[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Mon Aug 16 21:05:47 UTC 2010

Robert Heller wrote:

> Almost any *new* *inket* printer is going to be a hassle to get working
> under CentOS. HPs are actually the worst -- HP has some anal business
> of hardwiring in model numbers in the driver (or some such nonsense),
> even when a new model uses the same driver protocols as an older model,
> so you need a 'new' driver, even when the old driver would otherwise
> work.  Yes, the driver is open source, but the pre-built binaries use
> bleeding edge system libraries and the sources are a bear to build and
> install from source (and will of course screw with yum & rpm).

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro (all-in-one) at home and it runs fine under
Linux. It was actually plug and play through USB. Also, before that, I
had an old HP laser which I can't remember the model of, and again, no
issues with it working under Linux. My experience has been pretty decent
using HP printers and Linux.

Regards,
Max