[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Aug 17 02:17:20 UTC 2010

>   On 08/16/10 4:06 PM, Bob McConnell wrote:
> >
> > Many of the low end HP laser printers have Postscript built in, so Linux
> > can talk directly to them. Otherwise, I use CUPS with Gutenprint to do
> > the translation. If you can stretch the budget, even the CP1518ni Color
> > Laserjet is often available for less then $300. After you factor in the
> > cost of ink vs. toner, the laser comes out costing less in the long run.
>
> USB printers are more likely to require special drivers.  Ethernet
> printers less likely.

Most USB *printers* use the USB 'printer' protocol.  You would still
need a 'driver' (actually a PostScript => raster filter) for
non-Postscript printers (eg: inkjets).  I would guess that USB *laser*
*PostScript* printers would use the USB printer protocol and would not
need a special 'driver' -- the Linux kernel knows how to talk to a USB
'printer' device (HAL's hotplug code creats a /dev/usb/lpN device file
automagically).