[CentOS] tools one could to use to troubleshoot for Apache

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Aug 20 18:36:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:46:19PM +0530, Agnello George wrote:
>    Have a question , Suppose i had a client tell me that  he can access the
>    web page but it takes long time to view  the pages   the website is a
>    static website ( suppose this website does not server dynamic data  or
>    does not connect to a database )... what would one check other than :

Even a static site could contain complex pages, in terms of what it takes
the browser to render them. If the pages are complex in terms of css or
JavaScript content, or even nested tables, you might see a difference
running different browsers. Rendering speed varies widely between them.

If it's not rendering, is it slow to everywhere, or just slow to your
client's system. What's their bandwidth? Are they behind a proxy? If you and
your client, on different connections, view the page at the same time with
the same browser, is it as slow for both of you?

If the question is how fast the pages are being served, you could run tests
remotely with wget. It has all sorts of timing thresholds (check the man
page) which you could reduce until it starts failing. That could quantify
the speed of the server's response to your remote position on the network.
Or you could build a little script that writes a timestamp, runs wget with
its defaults, writes another timestamp, erases the local files wget just
pulled in, and repeats. Then the difference between starting and finishing
timestamps will show you how fast the page comes in, and whether the speed
is consistent over time. A bottleneck could be elsewhere than the server.
But if you ran this at multiple remote locations you could triangulate.

Whit