[CentOS] Load at 5, no CPU I/O or swap in use

Ed Donahue

liberaled at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 18:48:51 UTC 2010

We are currently running CentOS 5 update 4 on a Dell R910 server 16
cores/32 hyperthreaded with 64GB of memory. It is our main Oracle 11g
DB server for one of our customers and is attached to an MD 3000
storage array. We are having a load averaging around 5 but see no swap
in use, CPUs are pretty much idle and no I/O wait. We have Oracle
dataguard turned on in transactional mode. I've checked everything
that I can think of, there are no Oracle processes running which would
cause a spike. Anyone have any ideas as to what to check next?

I have another R910 configured the same way and do not see any issues
with the 3 databases running on that server. The load is at .5.