[CentOS] dual heads, Radeon

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri Aug 20 21:35:34 UTC 2010

Dell OptiPlex 980, Radeon HD 4550 xorg figures it should use the r500 driver.

I start with no /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It comes up, mirroring. I use the
gnome applet - the same thing, btw, with system-config-display - tell it
to use dual head, and spanning desktops. Exit X.

Restart, and the second monitor goes into powersave mode. Try to exit X,
with a bluish screen... and that's all she wrote. It's hung so hard I
can't log in via ssh, and have to power cycle it.

Any clues?

        mark