[CentOS] CentOS or other Linux Internet Router/Gateway

S.Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:20:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 17:48 -0500, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've got kids who are growing older and I want to build a Linux box to
> filter Internet access. I've got six computers on the Internet, plus
> the laptops -- most run Windows. I'm not sure if it's called a router
> or gateway or...?  I don't mind doing the leg work, I just don't know
> where to start. I'm pretty sure I'm *not* looking for a web server
> (though it might be fun to have a local web) -- I might also use the
> computer for a file server, but I mostly want a... proxy server? Not
> sure what tool I need to use. I seem to remember there were specialty
> Linux distributions for this purpose.
>
> Once I do figure out what kind of box I'm building, would I still be
> able to put my Linksys router behind it, or would the Linux box *be*
> the router? -- and would I have to get a wireless switch instead?
> Would a Pentium III handle this duty, or would it gum up the works and
> make the Internet too slow?
>
> Sorry for stupid questions. At some point I'm going to have to learn
> about Linux servers. I'm hoping this project will help me get started
> on that.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

There is a long list of options here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

My preferences are IPCop and Tomato Firmware, depending on the needed
complexity. IPCop will run on junk hardware and Tomato runs on several
home routers like the Linksys WRT54GL.

There are many IPCop add-ons, including DansGuardian, which is basically
a very effective porn filter. Like many/most on the list, both IPCop and
Tomato are configured via web interfaces.

Many people like SmoothWall or, for something more extensive, SME Server
or ClearOS (previously known as ClarkConnect). If you want a high
performance router, look at pfSense.

Steve