[CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Mon Aug 23 15:07:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, August 23, 2010 17:03, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
> On 23/08/2010 14:48, Giles Coochey wrote:
>> On Mon, August 23, 2010 15:43, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
>>
>>> On 23/08/2010 13:28, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>>
>> The problems can sometimes be caused by not having reverse-DNS records
>> for
>> your hosts. Can you resolve to names (any name) from an IP address?
>> e.g. nslookup 10.2.9.2?
>>
>> It doesn't matter if it doesn't resolve to the rigt name, just that it
>> resolves to something (and avoids the timeout)...
>>

> They don't resolve to anything:
>
> Server:         10.2.2.254
> Address:        10.2.2.254#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find 2.9.2.10.in-addr.arpa.: No answer
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:

Can you contact the network / DNS admins and ask them to create PTR
records in the in-addr.arpa zone for your hosts?
If not, someone posted a workaround for this for your nsswitch.conf file.

As I said - it doesn't normally matter what they set it to, except perhaps
for email smart-hosts / gateways, just that the reverse lookups exist.