[CentOS] Updates offered annoyance

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:29:35 UTC 2010

On 8/25/10 7:14 AM, Aleksandar Stoisavljevic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded latest CentOS 5.5 DVD i386 image from one of FTP's in a list.
>
> I've burned that image to DVD and created new DVD to use for fresh installations.
> Now when I install fresh CentOS 5.5 (in VM) I am getting info that there are 50
> packages updates.
>
> This is ok when I have good internet speed (@work) but when I am home, this
> update takes a lot of time.
>
> I guess I can skip updates but I wasn't experiencing such annoyance with CentOS
> 5.4. My gues is that when
> CentOS 5.4 was finalized there is no updates to that DVD.
>
> Is there any suggestions ?

Updates are a good thing - they mean bugs and security issues are being fixed.
If you like to baby-sit the update process, try it this way:
yum install yum-downloadonly
then you can:
yum -y --downloadonly update
and go away (or sleep) while the update rpms download. If this step doesn't
complete you can restart it as many times as necessary and it won't actually
install anything.  After the downloads have completed, you can do
yum -y update
to install them and it will run quickly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com