[CentOS] Strange Apache log entry

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Sat Aug 28 13:45:20 UTC 2010

Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 8/24/10, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:
>> So bolting down PHP really tight should address these hacks?
>
> As others have mentioned, this is trying to take advantage of a poorly
> written PHP script that doesn't sanitize/check the input before using.
> However, you could possibly lock down PHP further to reduce the
> possibility of such apps working by using the disabled_function
> setting to disable the riskier functions which allow
> shell/command/file operations. Of course depending on how aggressive
> you are, it could lead to scripts breaking.

The best way to attack this problem is to take a close look at the known
issues and make sure your code doesn't expose any of them. Start by
reading the OWASP[1] web site. Their annual Top Ten[2] list of
vulnerabilities is a good place to start. They also have sample code
snippets in a variety of languages to sanitize and validate input. We
utilize both their recommendations and code in a number of our sites. It
gives us a good start toward PCI compliance.

Another excellent resource is the "SANS-CWE Top 25 Most Dangerous
Programming Errors"[3]. This applies to all applications that have
network access, not just web pages. The press release[4] explains what
the list contains.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

[1] <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>