[CentOS] why flash the terminal interface when loading the linux system?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 16:37:06 UTC 2010

On 8/28/10 11:04 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 08/28/2010 12:50 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On 8/28/10 10:29 AM, ganu MailList wrote:
>>> I had set the initdefault  as 5
>>>

>> 5 comes after 1,2,3, etc.
>
> I do hope you were making a joke and not really claiming that
> the system progresses through runlevels 2, 3, and 4 on its
> way to runlevel 5.

Progressing through the run levels is the way it is supposed to work to ensure
that the complex and necessary sequence of processes started by init are done in
the right order when you change levels either direction.  At least that's the
way it was designed in unix.  Linux sometimes cheats - and using runlevel 5 to
start X was sort of an afterthought.  I guess you could wade through the /etc/rc
script to see what it does these days.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com