[CentOS] Centos 5.5, not booting latest kernel but older one instead

kalinix calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:38:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 07:23 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, fred smith wrote:
>
> > To: centos at centos.org
> > From: fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > Subject: [CentOS] Centos 5.5, not booting latest kernel but older one instead
> >
> > I've been going along not noticing things happening right under my nose.
> > so imagine my surprise when I discovered last night that my Centos 5 box
> > has installed multiple new kernels over the last few months, as updates
> > come out, and IT IS NOT BOOTING THE NEWST ONE.
> >
> > grub.conf says to boot kernel 0, and 0 is the newest one. but the one it
> > actually boots is 6 or 8 down the list (clearly I've not been keeping
> > things cleaned up, either).
> >
> > Below is some info that shows the problem. Can anyone here provide
> > helpful suggestions on (1) why it is doing this, and more importantly (2)
> > how I can make it stop?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > uname reports:  2.6.18-164.15.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Mar 17 12:14:29 EDT 2010 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> >
> > while /etc/grub.conf contains:
>
> /etc/grub.conf ??
>
> don't you mean /boot/grub/grub.conf ?

Actually /etc/grub.conf should be an link to /boo/grub/grub.conf, so
yes, OP correctly pasted the content of /etc/grub.conf

ls -las /etc/grub.conf
4 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr  2  2009 /etc/grub.conf
-> ../boot/grub/grub.conf

I suggest setting an higher timeout (eg 15 sec) and disable hiddenmenu.
Then try to manually select last kernel out of the list. And oh, first
of all, you should check whether the /boot/grub/grub.conf links
to /etc/grub.conf :)

HTH

--

Calin

Key fingerprint = 37B8 0DA5 9B2A 8554 FB2B 4145 5DC1 15DD A3EF E857