[CentOS] e2fsck with millions of files

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:44:34 UTC 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a large (1.5TB) partition with millions of files on it.  e2fsck has been running nearly 12 hours and is still on "Checking directory structure".  Any tips for speeding this along?

Disable fsck for that file system then google for online/delayed/background fsck script.

The script will take an LVM snapshot and fsck the snapshot and only if it finds a problem with the snapshot will it email the operator and set the file system to be fsck'ed on the next reboot. When it finishes it deletes the snapshot.

This will allow your system to come up right away. Performance will decline during this, but it's better than inaccessible.

-Ross