[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 latest revisions seem really slow

Mon Aug 2 06:46:16 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 20:00 -0700, Mark wrote:
> I recently updated to OpenOffice 3.2 and I noticed that it, and the
> latest Evolution, seem to be incredibly slow for some operations.

Latest version for CentOS 5.5 is
openoffice.org-writer-3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1
Where did you obtain 3.2 from?  That may be your slowness as on my 64
bit workstation I see none at all.  Loads in about 3 secs.

evolution-2.12.3-19.el5:
Now Evolution on my 32 bit workstation I have 1555 emails in it and it
is not slow, 8 different email accounts also, especially even though it
is GUI based instead of console.  About every 2000 mails I back it up
and start over again from 0.

> E.g., in OO, about half the time when I'm editing something, it takes
> anywhere from 10-30 seconds for OO to respond to a click on one of the
> icons or menu items, and Evo is taking forever to format messages.

Converting a *.doc file to *.pdf only takes about 3 secs.  What type of
Graphics card you have?  Yea I know weird question but can cause your
problem also.

<snip>
> I'm running the x86_64 release on an Athlon II X4, 2.6GHz with 4GB of
> memory and lots of available space in memory and on disk.

Looked at your memory usage? Is it swapping by chance? #free.  Have you
looked at top while using those apps?  What about spamd in Evolution?
Disable all non needed services.

Here is the memory for my 32 bit workstation for Evolution + spamd + a
few consoles/pine opened + firefox. & sometimes links & screen.  No
problem here what so ever.
]#free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        774648     755020      19628          0      68968
368716
-/+ buffers/cache:     317336     457312
Swap:      1572856         12    1572844

John