[CentOS] force b/w printing

Tue Aug 3 10:39:37 UTC 2010
Dale Dellutri <daledellutri at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Janez Kosmrlj <postnalista at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Has anyone an idea, how to force users to print b/w on a color printer.
> We are in the process to deploy color printers to some of our offices where
> they use centos 5.5 as their OS. They need the printers to print some
> advertisement material. But for everything else, they don't need it. And
> because of the costs of the color printing we would like to force them to
> use B/W where not explicitly necessary. Is there a way to force  a printer
> driver to be just B/W even if it is a color printer. So i could install a
> second color printer which would only be available to a special print user.

I assume that this is printer dependent.  So I'd look at
  man lpoptions
and try listing the various options available
  lpoption -p <printer> -l
and look at storing the needed options in
  ~/.cups/lpoptions
or
  /etc/cups/lpoptions

For example, on my HP L7590 (color all-in-one):

$ lpoptions -p home-printer -l
PrintoutMode/Printout Mode: Draft Draft.Gray *Normal Normal.Gray High
High.Gray PhotoBest PhotoHigh PhotoNormal
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default PhotoTray Upper Lower CDDVDTray Envelope
LargeCapacity Manual MPTray
PageSize/Page Size: Custom.WIDTHxHEIGHT *Letter A4 Photo Photo5x7
PhotoTearOff 3x5 5x8 A5 A6 A6TearOff B5JIS CDDVD80 CDDVD120 Env10 EnvC5
EnvC6 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive FLSA Hagaki Legal Oufuku w558h774
w612h935
Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble *None
Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: *FromPrintoutMode
300ColorCMYK 300DraftColorCMYK 300DraftGrayscaleCMYK 300FastDraftColorCMYK
300FastDraftGrayscaleCMYK 300GrayscaleCMYK 600ColorCMYK 600GrayscaleCMYK
600PhotoCMYK 600PhotoNormalCMYK 1200PhotoCMYK

So I assume that setting option Normal.Gray instead of Normal (the defaullt)
would give me gray-scale
printing.

YMMV, of course.

--