[CentOS] how to dual boot centos with redhat?

Tue Aug 3 13:09:50 UTC 2010
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

> Please point out the search result that will solve his problem if it is so easy
> for you...  Or if you can't, please avoid polluting future searches with
> non-answers.
>
> Specifically, he needs a search result that shows how to get the older RedHat
> installed on the USB disk it doesn't recognize.  There might be a lot that show
> how to point a grub entry to different boot partitions, but he won't get that
> far.  And if he copies a working image from a different install it still
> probably won't recognize the disk it is on, and even if the hardware drivers are
> there he would have to rebuild the initrd to contain them (and what's the driver
> name???).
>
> My advice is to buy hardware that an OS recognizes if you want to actually use
> it.  And if you just want to try it out (doing research, perhaps?), install
> VMware on the best machine you have and run the OS in question as a guest.  In
> many cases you can find an image already installed that you can just download
> and run under VMware player.  If you have to build your own, you'll probably
> want the latest version of vmware server 1.x that you can find (the 2.x versions
> have a problem running under Red Hat or Centos and  nobody likes the web based
> console).  Or if you can meet its hardware requirements, load ESXi on the bare
> machine and run all of your other OS's under it.   VMware presents virtual
> hardware that the guests will see as scsi or ide drives regardless of what the
> server is actually using and you can generally copy the images around to
> different physical hosts - and you can do what you need with the free versions.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

Actually if he has a CPU with vmx/svm extensions I would have
suggested imaging the old redhat disk to a partition (or file) and
using a kvm instance to run it with emulated ide and nic .... but
quite frankly after seeing his noise on here for so long (and now at
the ubuntu-users mailing list... oh yay?!) with not even the least
amount of research I'd rather he just unsubscribed and stopped
pestering with any task he needs to do at work/home/school.

Inevitably some troll will probably point out or lack of assistance
and sarcasm in this case as that unfriendly FOSS community that yells
"RTFM N00b!" in some slashdot discussion in future... but will just
have to archive his more inane requests for defence then ;)

If he doesn't have a CPU with vmx/svm extensions I'll just quietly
giggle in the corner at the concept of booting an OS that doesn't
recognise USB-storage (which kernel was that introduced again?!) off a
USB storage device...

James