[CentOS] Dogs, trolls, and neighborly free/open source

Wed Aug 4 16:42:19 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 7:20 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> Whit Blauvelt a écrit :
>>

>>> So is the notion that "help your neighbor" is more Middle Eastern and
>>> "dog eat dog" more, what, American? The Middle East currently has Al
Qaeda,
>>> Hizbolla, Hamas, the Taliban, the IDF ... all embracing a philosophy
>>> for which "dog eat cog" would be too kind a label. I'm sure from some
>>> perspectives the same thing can be said of US and NATO forces in the
>>> area.
>>
>> I'm Austrian and I live in a small village in South France. I'm on
>> excellent terms with my neighbour, who comes from a small village in
>> Morocco. Sometimes, we help each other out to borrow salt, milk, flour,
>> pepper or some other ingredient we forgot to buy in town, twelve
>> kilometers away.
>>
>> I've read through a few messages of Mr Hadi Motamedi, and his attitude
>> seems to be more like: hey, man, can you please come over to my flat and
>> cook my dinner?
>
> Aren't we all pretty comfortable with using thousands of man-hours of
> other people's work for free?  And, his posts are a tiny percentage of
> this thread and I can't see where anyone else has added much useful
> content either, nor do I see much point in bringing up ethnicity.

I agree that where he's from is irrelevant - we've seen the same of
Indians, and French, I think... and more than enough lazy American idiots,
as well.

However, he is, indeed, pulling what I referred to in my proposed FAQ as
"asking us to do his job for him". And, for that matter, if he actually
*has* RHEL, he's presumably paid for it, and it's his *job*, for which he
is presubably getting paid, and he wants us to do it for free.

        mark