[CentOS] ext4?

Sat Aug 7 18:10:23 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On 7 August 2010 17:41, Laurent Wandrebeck <l.wandrebeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so a mount -t ext4 should work, as kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 provides /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.8.1.el5/kernel/fs/ext4/ext4.ko.
>
> This is probably going ot provide the answer (to you atleast, its not
> so clear to me);
>
> `uname -r` tells me I'm on kernel 2.6.18-92.el5.

A really *old* CentOS 5.x kernel...

> Within /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/kernel/fs/ thers is no ext4, but I
> have do have a /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 folder and in there is
> kernel/fs/ext4/ext4.ko so a newer kernel is preset with the required
> module but its not active, or something? I'm going to say I need to
> recompile my kernel and include the module since its present on my box
> or work out why the newer kernel files are present but not in use?

You have the newer kernel installed, but either you have *never*
rebooted since updating or else grub.conf (or lilo.conf) was not
updated or something like that.  While is it indeed true that Linux
does NOT need to be rebooted everytime you perform a software update
(unlike MS-Windows), you do in fact have to reboot when you update the
*kernel*.

If you have in fact rebooted since installing the newer kernel
(probably via a yum update ...) and are still not running
2.6.18-194.8.1.el5, then you need to look at /boot/grub.conf (or
/etc/lilo.conf) and see what is being booted by default.  You might
need to fix these files (and re-run lilo if you are using lilo), and
then reboot.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933