[CentOS] DHCP problem with virtual interfaces

Wed Aug 11 17:46:16 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 18:18 +0200, Simone Caldana wrote:

> # dhclient -V
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5-RedHat

I have always thought this to be a bug.  Maybe your views reinforce it even more.  How ever I have
not filed a bug report because my issue only stems to cheap routers and not a proper setup.

I have had the same problems with dhcp client.  Although I am not using
in the way you are.  You see the same problems under a regular eth0
using dhcp.  My problems stem from these cheap routers that ISPs provide
mostly.

> Q) do service network restart fix the issue?
> A) yes, always, and yes, temporarily. This makes me think the system is basically right and this may be a bug.

And yes I've seen the temp fix also that gives.

> Q) why don't you use static IPs, if they are static in DHCP?
> A) I want to be able to reconfigure the networks without editing tons of files on tons of machines. I currently have tens of these VMs deployed and the number is likely to increase alot in the future. The deployment and configuration is automatic using a central configuration.

That was my solution to use static IPs. on the Linux Machines only.  You
do not see this under Windows.

> Attached a txt with the tcpdump of the above log extraction.

That dump is not long enough to tell anything funny going on.

John