[CentOS] ATI mobility Radeon HD 5470

Thu Aug 12 16:18:57 UTC 2010
Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2 at o2.pl>

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: sync <jiannma at gmail.com>
> > I try  to use that version  but  it does not work ...
> > Fatal : Module fglrx not found ..
>
> Did you check if the module is present somewhere?

Hi,

I installed ATI in Debian dozens of times. Just tried the same process
on SL 5.5 here few minutes before.

1) linux-cat107-install.pdf from ATI download website says what files
you have to have installed prior to ATI instalation/kernel compilation

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_cat107-inst.pdf

2) Radeon HD 5xxxx is included in the 10.7 list of ATI drivers

3) Installation went smoothly without a problem

4) ATI driver is named fglrx*

5) search for its mutations ;-) there:
lib/modules/fglrx
lib-/modules/"kernel-sig"/kernel/drivers/char/drm

kernel-sig = your kernel's signature

6) Alas there is not such thing like Debian's modconf to conveniently
check/manage installed kernel modules; there is no such file
like Debian's /etc/modules with a list of additionally installed kernel
modules.

(Perhaps someone hints us how to peep into SL kernel modules?)

7) ATI installs aticccle manager + fgl_glxgears (with 3D rotating cube)

8) You __have to change__ "manually" monitor's VertRefresh and HorizSync
data in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, e.g.:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

and add "Modes" line in Screen section:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

9) WARNING :-(

ATI worked good but I had impression that Xorg's latest radeon driver
(found in SL 5.5) worked better, especially during MC window resizing -
radeon was making less flickering than ATI proprietary driver.

The warning relates to system fonts- ATI changed my system fonts to
"something ugly" and in 6 pt size! I use IceWM, but every apps got the
same fonts and nothing could be done via IceWM settings, of course.
Thank God, I had a magnifying glass at hand...

So said I changed X11 settings to previous ones, namely to SL radeon
driver.

BTW. How to change system font in SL? I tried to find out thru google
search but to no avail. And there is no such script like
system-config-fonts, why?

I hope I were able to help.

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2 at o2.pl