[CentOS] Problem resizing partition of nfs volume

Thu Aug 12 22:50:54 UTC 2010
Dan Yamins <dyamins at gmail.com>

instead, you should have used parted(8) or similar to expand the
> partition, then used resize2fs(8) to expand the file system on this
> partition to its new size.

So I'm trying parted on a new, clean volume created from the snapshot,
attached to /dev/sdm  As I explained before, I can't do

$ parted /dev/sdm

[root at domU-12-31-39-0E-B2-61 ~]# parted /dev/sdm
Error: Error initialising SCSI device /dev/sdm - Invalid argument

I *CAN* do parted on the path:

$ parted /dev/sdm1
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/sdm1
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.

But then i get this error:

(parted) resize 1 0 500GB
Error: The location 500GB is outside of the device /dev/sdo1.

Which is course is true ...

(parted) print

Disk /dev/sdm1: 21.5GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Flags
 1      0.00kB  21.5GB  21.5GB  ext3

So I'm not sure where to go from here...

thanks!
Dan