[CentOS] best ways to do mysql backup

Sun Aug 15 16:49:26 UTC 2010
nux at li.nux.ro <nux at li.nux.ro>

Tuptus writes:

> Nic by się nie stało gdyby Agnello George nie napisał:
>> we have multiple servers approx 10   and each has about 100 GB of data in
>> the /var/lib/mysql dir , excluding tar , mysqldump and replication how do
>> we
>> take backup for these databases on to a remote machine and store them
>> datewise , ( the remote machine is a 2TB  HDD )
>>
>> currently tar  is not feasible as the data is too huge  and  the same goes
>> with mysqldump
>>
>> suggestion will be of great help
>
> Why not mysqldump?
> I suggest mysqldump to local dysk and backup this to remote.
> I use it with __bacula__.
>
> --
> Tuptus

AFAIK mysqldump locks the tables.. and to have the tables locked while you
dump 100 GB of data is very annoying, if not unacceptable.
The best solution by far in this circumstance (yeah, i know he said he
doesn't want replication) is to have a master/slave replication and perform
the dump on the slave.

My 2 pence.