[CentOS] Yum broken after x86_64 upgrade

Mon Aug 16 00:16:59 UTC 2010
listmail <listmail at entertech.com>

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:57:04 -0400, Robert Heller wrote
> At Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:09:13 -0700 CentOS mailing list
> <centos at centos.org> wrote:

<snip>
> Is there really an updater that goes from 32-bit to 64-bit?  Or is
> it a CentOS 5.3 64-bit to CentOS 5.5 64-bit?

Well, the system was 32-bit, and it came up running a 64-bit kernel after the
upgrade...

> I don't believe you *really* don't want to do a 'live update' from
> 32-bit to 64-bit.  You should make a backup and do a fresh install of
> the 64-bit system.

That's the way I'm leaning...

<snip>

> > And the second question: did I make a mistake by assuming that the upgrade
> > system would work as it should, or is this just a bug in the upgrade system?
> > And to my first question, does anyone know what else the updater is likely to
> > have broken?
>
> Again, are you sure the updater migrates from 32-bit to 64-bit and
> NOT just 64-bit < 5.5 to 64-bit 5.5?

Not certain of anything, we're not dealing with a documented commercial
product here. ;-) I just ran it to see if it would work as advertised on the
installation menu.

Thanks,
--Bill