[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Mon Aug 16 22:20:45 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Max Hetrick wrote:

> From: Max Hetrick <maxhetrick at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student
>     using CentOS 5.5
>
> Robert Heller wrote:
>
>> Almost any *new* *inket* printer is going to be a hassle to get working
>> under CentOS. HPs are actually the worst -- HP has some anal business
>> of hardwiring in model numbers in the driver (or some such nonsense),
>> even when a new model uses the same driver protocols as an older model,
>> so you need a 'new' driver, even when the old driver would otherwise
>> work.  Yes, the driver is open source, but the pre-built binaries use
>> bleeding edge system libraries and the sources are a bear to build and
>> install from source (and will of course screw with yum & rpm).
>
> I have an HP OfficeJet Pro (all-in-one) at home and it runs fine under
> Linux. It was actually plug and play through USB. Also, before that, I
> had an old HP laser which I can't remember the model of, and again, no
> issues with it working under Linux. My experience has been pretty decent
> using HP printers and Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Max

I'm running an HP Deskjet 810c on Fedora 12 with no
problems. Was working under Fedora 8 until recent upgrade
to F12.

Not tested on Centos 5.5 yet though. Still installing
and testing that on my laptop.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: