[CentOS] Need tip on an inexpensive printer for college student using CentOS 5.5

Mon Aug 16 23:21:27 UTC 2010
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

  On 08/16/10 4:06 PM, Bob McConnell wrote:

> Many of the low end HP laser printers have Postscript built in, so Linux
> can talk directly to them. Otherwise, I use CUPS with Gutenprint to do
> the translation. If you can stretch the budget, even the CP1518ni Color
> Laserjet is often available for less then $300. After you factor in the
> cost of ink vs. toner, the laser comes out costing less in the long run.

USB printers are more likely to require special drivers.  Ethernet
printers less likely.

However...   Many campuses have restrictions on attaching ethernet
devices, like the CSU campus my kid goes to, you have to register your
laptop or PC by its MAC address, you can't connect a switch or anything
else to the dorm ethernet jacks, just one PC/laptop per port (and they
have one port per bunk in the dorms).   Under these conditions, using an
ethernet printer would be problematic, and require disconnecting the
computer from the 'house' network, and plugging it directly into the
printer, likely with a crossover cable, and reconfiguring the network,
yada yada.    blah!