[CentOS] kernel: bnx2i: iSCSI not supported, dev=ethX

Tue Aug 17 07:15:56 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:11:41PM -0500, David wrote:
> Running CentOS 5.5 x86_64 on Dell R710 boxes.  I have the server(s)
> configured for bonding/vlan and will be using iscsi to a SAN.  I am in
> the pre-deployment stage so I am just setting up the basic cookie cutter
> configurations so I haven't initiated the iscsi connection to a SAN yet.
>
> While going through the error messages I noticed this error:
>
> kernel: bnx2i: iSCSI not supported, dev=ethX.

bnx2i, note the "i", is a hardware iSCSI offloading driver for the bnx2 NICs.

> First time I have seen this error while configuring previous Dell
> servers, though I noticed most of my older boxes are using the tg3
> module for the onboard NIC's.
>
> Has anyone run into this error message and if so does it means what it
> says....iSCSI not supported for the target device?

It means the iSCSI hardware acceleration is not enabled/possible for that NIC.

Mike: Maybe the message should be made a bit more clear.. :)

-- Pasi